Importance of Website Content
Remember, the main reason people come to business websites is to gather information. If they are seeking a solution, their goal is to make an informed decision about which product or service provider is better than the rest.
Your content must position you as better, or you will not get further interest from your prospective customer.
Content–particularly the messaging in your text–should be the primary driver behind developing most websites. Content should inform how you organize your site and, if you are hoping to attract search traffic, it plays a vital role in search engine optimization (SEO).
Tips to Develop Your Message
As you work on your message, here are some ideas that may help:
- Study competitors’ websites and those of similar providers for ideas. But, do NOT assume just because your competitors have done something that it is the right approach for your site!
- Ask clients or customers how they would describe your message content (see three items above). They may have views of your business you are too close to see.
- It’s better to have too much copy that can be edited down than not enough. Try to anticipate your buyers’ questions and informational needs.
- Don’t settle for generalities and platitudes. Prospective customers are looking for differentiating information about you. It is not enough to say, “We care about you, we’re more personable and/or we’re more professional.” Generalizations like this won’t cut it. Everyone and anyone can make those claims, and does. Dig deeper. Get specific. Provide details, examples, proof.
- Differentiate so you stand out. Consider looking at HOW you do business as a differentiator. This can work well for service-based businesses. For example, consider how you go about your work that is better/different than your competitors. Think of the specific steps, processes, guarantees, things you tell or ask your customer, etc.
Remember search phrases if you hope to rank on Google for these keywords. Work them into your message. Read my Guide to Search Engine Optimization before you start writing your content.
VERY IMPORTANT: Break your content up into small pieces and work each piece one at a time.
Download the Website Project Organizer Checklist here
Get tips on organizing your site structure